Happy Monday to you! Today, I awoke feeling refreshed and recharged, after a 3 day weekend retreat as my family left for Oregon. It's an annual trip that my hubby and daughter make together, allowing them some wonderful time to bond, and me some well loved quiet time to create!
This weekend my main project was to re-do the room divider "curtains" that I made several years ago...back when southwest country style was popular...wow, that was a while back! This oak divider was made by my hubby, and it was designed originally to mimick the curves of our dresser mirror. I have rarely kept it in our master bedroom, as it works better in the front room (or in this case, the entry) to divide up the open areas of the home. The fabric was a wonderful thrift store find of home dec weight toile (4 yards/$4!).
The little desk/chair combo was a discard from my hubby's great aunt, and we've kept it for over 10 years, intending to restore it. I wish I would have taken a before shot, as it was a dark walnut stain, and completely falling apart. The chair was entirely detached and the curved part of the desk was warping outward. We believe that this piece is from the 40's or 50's and was perhaps a telephone stand? It also resembles a old fashioned child's desk, as the seat isn't very large (I can fit in it, but wouldn't want to sit there often). Hubby completely stripped this piece and restored it to a beautiful light cherry stain color. Next up was the chair pad, which I made this weekend. I first spray glued a thick foam pad, and then covered with a sturdy cotton fabric which was stapled on. Next I made this hand needle felted floral design on black wool and made it into a slipcover for the pad, complete with zipper. That way if I want to change it out, I can.
Needless to say, hubby was both surprised and happy to see me finally complete these projects. I have to say that I'm pretty happy with them too...and feeling pretty lucky that I have such a talented woodworker just a kiss away. Have a wonderful day!