Friday, July 16, 2010

A very special person

This week has just flown by. I will see my little girl, Nicole, this Saturday, and am so excited as I've been really missing her smiling face each and every day. She is such a positive and caring young lady, and I sometimes wonder what I did right to deserve such a treasure. As we prepare to see her, I am thinking of the person who has been shaping my little girl's life these past two weeks, her Grandma, Linda. Grandma has been busy shuttling Nic to daily swim lessons as well as teaching her the techniques of riding a horse that has been specially raised for her. All this in an environment where it's been at or near 100 degrees every day! Goodness, that's a lot for a Grandma to do, in between handling her own daily work at their ranch. So, I thought it would be nice to put together a little something in appreciation for Grandma's hard work, patience, and understanding. This is an idea that utilizes a technique that I have ventured into lately and really enjoy...needle felting. I painted the clay pot a toffee color, then crackled it with a black top coat. The focal piece is blanket stitched osnaburg fabric with a layer of batting behind it. I needle felted the flowers all different colors and the pot in shades of turquoise and white. Some hand stitching for the stems and buttons, and then jute was tied to secure it around the pot. I found a beautiful striped miniature rose for the pot. Grandma will probably be able to grow this inside her house for a while (she has an incredible green thumb). Then I imagine a beautiful indoor cactus growing in it. She has those everywhere.
This is a photo of one in bloom at our last visit. I have many special people who have helped to shape the development of my daughter to thank. Grandma Linda is just one of them. May you be blessed with many special people in your lives too!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, Grandmas are special. Sounds like your daughter is in good and loving hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very sweet! I know she will love it!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete